We've all heard that laughter is the best medicine but is there really any truth to that? Does a good chuckle really do anything for us? In my opinion, I say a resounding YES! There truly is nothing like a good laugh. That feeling when you get done hysterically cracking up with friends and you wipe the tears from your eyes, sigh and say, "Ahhh, I needed that!" is the best! It's like you feel more alive and re-energized, like you really did need to laugh! Theres nothing like it! When I was pregnant, like ready-to-pop pregnant we watched some stand up comedy by Jim Gaffigan and I laughed so hard we had to keep stopping it because I truly thought I was going to go into labour! (If you need a good laugh, Youtube him right now!!!) I remember feeling so good and refreshed when the show was over.
Author Sondra Kornblatt says that laughter can;
- Lower blood pressure
- Increase vascular blood flow and oxygenation of the blood
- Give a workout to the diaphragm and abdominal, respiratory, facial, leg, and back muscles
- Reduce certain stress hormones such as cortisol and adrenaline
- Increase the response of tumor- and disease-killing cells such as Gamma-interferon and T-cells
- Defend against respiratory infections–even reducing the frequency of colds–by immunoglobulon in saliva.
- Increase memory and learning (in a study at Johns Hopkins University Medical School, humor during instruction led to increased test scores)
- Improve alertness, creativity, and memory
Have you laughed today? If not, you need to, if only for medicinal purposes!
Be silly, laugh, have fun!
And even more than laughing yourself, do you know what can just heal your very soul??? Hearing a baby laugh. Come on now, it's just like angels singing, while they're riding unicorns and eating cotton candy at Disney Land!!!
Could there be anything better???