Food is fuel

After a hard workout, you've probably used up all or a lot of your body's stored carbohydrates. To replenish them quickly, so that your body can recover in time for your next workout, it's important to enjoy a recovery snack within 30 minutes of your workout. 
 
 
I remember when I first experienced for myself, the reality that food was in fact the fuel for my body.  I used to workout on an empty stomach and wondered why I ended up laying on the floor in the fetal position 15 minutes in, ready to go back to bed.  I realized then that it was important to eat and not starve myself. My solution: "There, I'll have this plain bagel with cheese and mayo first and give my body some fuel."  Wrong again!  I had no idea it made all the difference in the world WHAT I ate.  I remember trying to workout so hard without changing my diet and it was all I could do to make it through a one hour workout.  Then one morning I decided to change what I ate before my workout.  A clean breakfast of oatmeal with fruit and egg whites on the side.  It didn't take a week or even days for me to see a difference.  Literally THAT morning, I made it through my workout and actually felt energized at the end!  Ah ha!  I got it!  Food is fuel!!!!  Don't starve yourself and don't deprive your body of what it needs.  You can't expect your body to do what you ask it to do and not give it the means to be able to do it.  No more than you would keep trying, day after day, to drive a car that had no gas in it.  I say this all the time but it is so true, the healthiest people with the best bodies (think body builders or fitness models etc.) eat SO much food in one day.  It is crazy!  They eat every few hours!!!  What makes all the difference is WHAT they are eating.
 
***
If you're struggling with knowing what to eat and when and need some nutrition guidance, contact us at trainsfitness@gmail.com
 
 ***
 
Here are a few ideas for post workout snacks to help your body recover and get ready for the next task you need it to perform.

 A few great recovery snacks:
 
P90X® Results and Recovery Formula®   (Sold through Beachbody)
1 percent chocolate milk
Fruit smoothie
Granola cereal
 
Here's a great clean eating granola recipe from the Gracious Pantry.
 
Clean Eating Granola

 
(Makes approximately 3 1/2 cups)

Ingredients:

  • 3 cups mixed grains (rolled oats will work fine as well)
  • 1/2 cup walnuts – chopped
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce
  • 1/4 cup honey
  • 2 teaspoons cinnamon

Directions:

  1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
  2. Put your grains and walnuts in a large mixing bowl.
  3. In a separate bowl, mix all remaining ingredients with a whisk.
  4. Pour the wet ingredients into the bowl with the grains and blend well. At first, it will seem as though there isn’t enough wet stuff, but keep mixing. It will eventually blend well and coat evenly.
  5. Spread over a parchment lined cookie sheet.
  6. Bake for 45-60 minutes, stirring every 10 to 15 minutes so it doesn’t burn. It’s done when it feels dry and has a nice golden brown colour.
  7. Allow to cool before serving.

Tidak ada komentar:

Posting Komentar