What's On the Menu?

What a gorgeous day it was today!  The sun was shining and it was a beautiful day for us to take a drive into town.  Spring is definitely in the air and we are SO ready for it! 
 
I've been busy thinking about our garden and all the great veggies we will soon have just right out side our door but until then, we headed off to the grocery store this afternoon, list in hand, with our meals planned out for the week.  So, what's on the menu at our house? 
 
Well, for Train, he's stocked up with tuna and clams, which wreak bad enough on a regular day, but add the super-sonic sense of smell that comes with pregnancy, and oh boy!  At least he understands and eats them in isolation!
We also stocked up on two things we can't seem to get enough of these days; eggs and berries.  The berries seem to always be on sale lately, which I'm so thankful for!  Today's bargains were strawberries and blackberries.  We are big into the yogurt, berries and granola lately.  It makes an awesome breakfast or great snack when you really need a sweet treat.  We typically buy plain fat free Greek yogurt, and although you may find it a wee bit bitter on its own, it's perfect once you add some fresh fruit into it.  I make my own granola, but if you're buying it just watch the sugar content.  I always thought granola was "healthy" no matter what but they are very sneaky with the added sugars, beware! 
For suppers we're having chicken wraps with lettuce and tomato and a chicken, spinach and orzo dish that is to die for!  I will also be making Florentine Frittata and 4 Bean Chili, which is one of my favourites.  I know I've said it before but, I LOVE anything with peas, beans and lentils!  I'll post the recipes for the last two dishes I mentioned in case you want to try them out! 


Ok, alright, alright, I can't take it anymore!!!!!  Fine, I'll admit it!!!!!  I also bought $11.00 worth of Mini Eggs at the Bulk Barn, yes,  all for myself!  I'm pregnant, what can I say?  There, I feel so much better now that I got that off my chest!


Florentine Frittata
 
 
 
Ingredients
1 tbsp of butter
2 large garlic cloves, minced
10oz bag baby spinach (stems removed)
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1/4 tsp round nutmeg
8 eggs
1 cup light grated cheese - optional
3 green onions, thinly sliced
Dash of cayenne pepper - to taste

Directions
Step 1 – Preheat oven to 350 degrees

Step 2 - Spray a 9 inch glass pie plate lightly with cooking spray

Step 3 - Melt butter in a large frying pan over medium/high heat.  Add garlic and spinach.  Sprinkle with pepper and nutmeg.  Stir until spinach is wilted (about 2 minutes.)  Remove from heat.

Step 4 - In a large bowl, whisk eggs.  Stir in cheese, onions, hot spinach and cayenne pepper.

Step 5 - Pour into prepared pie plate and stir.

Step 6 - Bake in oven until top is golden and puffy.  Approximately 30-35 minutes.

* * * * * *

Clean Eating 4 Bean Chili
(Makes approximately 10 servings)



Ingredients
5 cloves garlic, chopped fine
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
1 tbsp. olive oil
1 (28 oz.) can diced tomatoes
1 (15 oz.) can black beans
1 (15 oz.) can pinto beans
1 (15 oz.) can kidney beans
1 (15 oz.) can chickpeas
2 tsp. ground cumin
1 tbsp. chili powder
3 cups vegetable broth
Directions
Step 1 – Saute the onions and garlic in the olive oil, using a medium-sized soup pot.
Step 2 – Add all other ingredients and stir to combine.
Step 3 – Bring to a boil. Allow to boil for approximately 10 minutes and remove from heat.
Step 4 – Allow to cool and serve.
Eat and Enjoy!
I added chopped green and red pepper to mine.
 

Tidak ada komentar:

Posting Komentar