Food For Thought

Since I've embarked on my recent food-tracking frenzy I'm happy to report that (a) I seem to be slowly but surely dropping a bit of the weight I gained recently and (b) I am even more bat-shit crazy than I anticipated.

But it's a Happy Crazy, I swear!

It's not that I'm so starving that all I can focus on is food.  Au contraire! It's just that I'm so obsessed with strategizing, scheming, and optimizing that I find anything food-related to be incredibly fascinating and compelling.


OK, so there are limits.

But This Is Not About My New Eating Approach Which We Shall Not Call A "Diet."

I will bore you at length later on with further details of my low-carby-not-quite-primal quest to become a Fat-Incinerating Superhuman.  It's another one of those posts like the Best Food Tracking Apps, the Self-Hypnosis Experiment, several new giveaways, and approximately 8500 other Must Write Soon posts on the list which means I should get to it, um, any decade now.

(For a pathetic example, I never even followed up on my freakin' colonoscopy last year. How many smartypants trying-to-be-funny health bloggers would be so lazy as to pass up that opportunity? The combination of important medical advice for gravitas, along with details about diarrhea, heavy sedation, laxatives that go down like lemon-flavored motor oil, flatulence, and a huge tube stuck up your ass? It's almost pre-written!)

This Sort of Nuttiness is Temporary, Part of My Own Weird Cycle, And Not Recommended For Others.

I'm adding this paragraph because a couple of commenters wisely pointed out that a focus on losing weight for the sake of losing weight, apart from health concerns, is kinda f--cked up.  (Not their exact words, obviously). And it's ironic, because the overall message of this site is very much in accordance with that view.

And yet, it's also a personal blog, and I am a fallible person, and I go through funny cycles. I am not  eating-disordered.  Yet there are times I start to build up unhealthy habits of unlimited portions and too many treats.  I start feeling crappy about my lack of control, yet urging myself to "eat healthy" and "eat reasonable portions" does not in itself restore balance.  If I start to overindulge and gain weight, it works much better for me to go through a semi-dramatic Food Tracking and Re-education phase and let myself get a little bit FOC'D, then segue into a more sensible maintenance lifestyle once I've hit the reset button. To make this process easier and more fun, it helps to let all the crazy out and make the venture into an Exciting Obsessive Quest. How can I still eat a bunch of delicious healthy things without continuing to add unwelcome pounds, which tend to concentrate in my belly which is not an optimal place to carry them? It's fun to experiment! But I am not recommending anyone else do this.

Anyway.  Because of my recent fixation I seem to have a few food-related links kicking around to share.

The Fit Bottomed Girls Have a New Foodie Site!

If I were smarter, this image would be a clickable link.

The site is especially handy for those of us who cannot go to conventional foodie sites without feeling homicidally resentful that so many of the tantalizing pictures and recipes are Off Limits for health reasons or because we're insane.

For example, Fit Bottom Eats has a whole compendium of Healthy Super Bowl Snacks you can eat while watching the awesome San Francisco 49er's play some other team on Sunday!

Yum Yucky is Hilarious



If the video doesn't embed properly here, go to Yum Yucky's site to view the soon to be world famous Cake Kabob Infomercial .

The Awesome Jen Sinkler Has A New Site!

I'm a long time admirer of Jen's from her Experience Life days, and now she's got a cool new website called Thrive.

And in keeping with the food theme, in addition to all her great exercise tips she shares recipes.  This one looks promising even if it's a bit too high carb for me at the moment when I'm in the Hopefully Changing My Metabolism state, but it's paleo-ish and sounds totally delicious:

Sweet Potato Pizza with Figs and Prosciutto



Another Random Low Carb Recipe:

Haven't tried this one yet either but it caught my eye because I love beef stew and am intrigued by the notion that radishes become more mellow and friendly when stewed, since I do too!  Thanks Lyn!

Low carb beef stew recipe:



Still Working On Eating Healthier?

If you're here at a health blog, be assured that you are are a certified Healthy Living Freak when compared with the rest of the country.  According to a Report of the DGAC on the Dietary Guidelines for Americans (not that I remember what the hell the DGAC is or where I even got this from, sorry):

What Americans Eat: Top 10 sources of calories in the U.S. diet

1. Grain-based desserts (cakes, cookies, donuts, pies, crisps, cobblers, and granola bars)
2. Yeast breads
3. Chicken and chicken-mixed dishes
4. Soda, energy drinks, and sports drinks
5. Pizza
6. Alcoholic beverages
7. Pasta and pasta dishes
8. Mexican mixed dishes
9. Beef and beef-mixed dishes
10. Dairy desserts

Feel better now?

Anyone else having Thoughts About Food?


Images: Cake Sandwich: Natalie Dee
Disgusting Bean Thing: Lileks
Pizza: Thrive
Beef stew: Escape from Obesity

Tidak ada komentar:

Posting Komentar