Keeping a Journal: Kick-Ass or Kinda Barfy?


Do you keep a diary or journal?

Research says keeping a journal fights stress and depression, plus it can be a powerful tool for sorting things out, achieving goals, solving problems, arriving at insights, and improving relationships.

And yeah, I recently offered some tips for keeping food and exercise journals, but that's not what I'm talking about. This time I mean the old-fashioned, Dear-Diary-here's-what's-on-my-mind sort of thing.

You would think as a neurotic, over-thinking, narcisstic blogger, that journaling would be a no-brainer, right? Something I would have started when I was 6 years old? But no. Way too damn self-conscious.  It's only been about 9 months, and it's been... well... interesting.

So does anyone else feel like a total ass keeping a journal, or is it just me?



All I can figure is that perhaps I'm doing it wrong?

Dear Diary,

Wow, looks like I missed a few days!

So here is a list of things I want to get done today for sure!

1. Thing.
2-10. Many more things.

Oh dear.  This looks exactly like the To-Do list I wrote last time. Did I really not cross anything off?

But let's not call that laziness. Being negative doesn't help anything, right?  It probably just reflects a growing realization of what's truly important in life. Which is obviously stuff other than "being productive."

And actually, abandoning my To Do list yet again was cool, because it means I was living in the now, which that Tolle guy on Oprah says I should be doing instead of thinking about the past or the future. Although I guess thinking all about yesterday's now, which is technically then, is not being in the now now. Crap!

Oooh, I just had a thought that puts everything in perspective!  It's a BIG THOUGHT so it should be in all capital letters. And I have some other related ideas that are inspirational enough to require some underlining, because really, I want to remember all the fascinating implications later on.

In fact, it's such an epiphany, let me turn it into a long metaphor about a rainy night and a road full of potholes and a broken-down car and orange traffic cones! And maybe if I spend a good fifteen minutes pondering it and refining it and reworking it and then forgetting about it entirely by tomorrow, that will somehow address the fact that I never get anything done. Yay me for being so creative!

And here are a bunch of things I feel grateful for!  And here are some long term goals I don't want to forget about! And here are some things I did well and some things I keep f--cking up.

Whoops, I mean, here are the lessons I'm learning. And isn't it awesome that the Universe is teaching me these lessons right now, and so the f--cking up is really exactly what's supposed to be happening?  Hooray for f--cking up totally on schedule!

Ooh, another metaphor comes to mind... It's a giant pinball machine... no wait, it's a chessboard... no I think it's Chutes and Ladders! Perhaps I should spend a bit more time fleshing that out.  Because one day maybe I'll share it with a coaching client or blog about it!  Or just come to the realization that it's either obvious and unoriginal or makes totally no sense.

Damn,I sound so moronic when I converse with myself. Plus, the spelling mistakes and the grammar.... Let me go back and edit and clean it up some.

Ah yes, that was an excellent use of time, I feel so much better now.

OMG, what was that sound? Footsteps?

Quick, close the Word document and put something else on the screen!  Abort! Abort! What if my beloved spouse who has to hear all this crap all day long anyway were to see that I was writing it in my journal? What if she were to catch an overenthusiastic exclamation point and see me for the doofy sap that I am???!!!!

Whew, that was close!

Well, dear diary, that's all for today.  I am so grateful for all the insight and optimism you bring to my life. Diary, you rock!

Holy crap, how did it get to be noon?

Diary, you suck!

See you tomorrow!
So have any of you guys every kept a journal?  What do you think about the whole idea?

Tidak ada komentar:

Posting Komentar